Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Schedule Update

First, I must say what an incredible first half of the year I've had already! It's been beyond my wildest imagination and I'm so thankful for the opportunities to meet and photograph so many wonderful children and families.

I've recently taken some time to reevaluate my business model. From the beginning, I promised myself I would go into this business venture while putting my daughter and family first. My daughter has a genetic condition of the brain that labels her as special needs, although I like to think she's just special :) She has made huge miraculous accomplishments but still requires therapy 4 times a week. Because of that, sometimes I feel guilty taking on too much work and having to spend time away from her on the weekends when I could be helping her with speech, etc...I love portrait photography, it is my passion, but she is absolutely my inspiration and reason for doing this from the very beginning.

I've been really busy these last few months to say the least and I'm so, so very thankful to be able to do what I love. The paycheck is an added bonus! Because I am a little OCD at times about the way my photos look, I spend an enormous amount of time perfecting them, editing, etc... which of course, makes a 2 hour photo session, easily turn into 7 hours of actual work before a client even sees the photographs. That's not including all of my other business responsiblities of course. So when I squeeze in an extra session here and there each week, that's easily an extra 15 hours worth of work. I've been told several times to just "raise prices" and that will solve everything, but I don't believe in that philosophy.

Anyway, my ramblings are concluded with this: I am only taking up to 4 sessions per month for the rest of the year. I am currently now booking into July with two spots left.

Because of the nature of newborn photography, which should be done within the first two weeks of life, I ask that if you are expecting, please contact me so that I can pencil in your due date. That due date will count as a session reservation and actual date can be adjusted as needed.

I believe that by taking on a more reduced number of sessions per month, I will be able to provide even better service to my families, but most importantly, spend the time with my daughter that she so much deserves.

Thanks so much for all of your support and kind words! I am looking forward to the rest of this fabulous year!

1 comment:

Caits said...

Good for you! Good luck:)